Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Ghost of Shoulders Past

WTF? (Why the face? :) This morning's upper body resistance workout made me painfully aware of something: I NEVER use my shoulders. Okay, never is a strong word. I'm sure I use my shoulders when I lift one arm up to shave my underarms in the morning and switch sides; other than that, as a lawyer with a super handy husband, I NEVER use my freaking shoulders! They are so weak it's not even funny. My triceps are stronger than my shoulders. I'm seriously considering the utilization of a hammer curl motion when objecting in court :) Maybe that would help? I know hammer curls are more for the biceps, but if I really exaggerate the upswing I think I could be on to something.

Man I worked my butt off this morning! And that was just on the car ride to the gym :) Yes, South Dakota, we have our first substantial snow of the season. Craziness. Waking up to an inch of snow on January 17 is usually not surprising, but this winter has been pretty mild. People were slipping and sliding all over the place. I was almost side-swiped by an Escalade which would've been fine b/c clearly that driver has better insurance coverage than I do :) My workout was awesome as well - but realizing I have shoulder strength comparable to my one year old daughter was a wake up call!

Oh and in exciting nerdy news: I bought a juicer! FINALLY. I've been wanting one for a decade, but have always made due with my awesome Ninja blender. Anyhoo, I purchased the Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus Juicing Machine. Sounds ominous! I can't wait for it to get here. In the past, I've always done some kind of cleanse every 3-4 months. I've decided for my next go-around to try a 10 day juice fast every 3-4 months. I know the first 2-3 days will be annoying as all get out, but it'll be a great way to give my body a rest (digestively speaking of course :).

Speaking of juicing, I was cleaning the house the other night and decided to have Netflix on in the background. Since I've been re-dedicating myself to being awesome fitness-wise, I settled on a documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." Inspiring title right? :) You should watch it - it was a really amazing story of two men who basically re-set their sick bodies through juice fasting (I'm not talking 10 days, I'm talking 60 days!). One of the guys lives in Spirit Lake, IA! That's basically Okoboji Lake where I've been going with my family every summer since fetusdom. Pretty cool. The guy was an amazing inspiration. He went from something like 420 lbs down to 220 lbs. Just crazy - changed his whole lifestyle, etc. Pretty cool flick if you've got an hour or so.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment