Friday, January 6, 2012

Is that Forest Gump?

I'm 31, it's 2012, and I've decided to become a runner this year.  Yikes.  I haven't particularly liked running since I was around 8 years old. Up to that point, I've been told I loved to run everywhere - friends' houses, the store, down the block, etc. Then for some reason in 1988, my dad (God bless him!) thought it would be a good idea to require my younger sister and I to run a pre-mapped route of approximately 1.88 miles and time us. These "fun" runs occurred a few times each week. Looking back, I know my dad (a former marine) was trying to instill in us the importance of a healthy and active lifestyle. The actual result of course, at least for me, was to HATE running. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I never ran after that. As a soccer player throughout high school and part of college, running was always a part of my daily life whether on the field or working out. But running became something I HAD to do in my workouts, not something I actually enjoyed. I would hear about people getting that "runner's high" and wonder what the heck they were smoking. Running for me involved a treadmill if possible and at least 8 million glances at the clock to see if I was almost done yet.

Why then have I chosen my age-old nemesis as a goal?  Well, to be honest, I've always envied those who love to run.  Let's face it, you can take your running hobby/obsession anywhere you go.  It seems like a great way to relieve stress and focus your thoughts.  Over the years, I've started up running numerous times only to give up after a couple of weeks.  I never put much thought into these attempts simply figuring that I could start running and eventually get the hang of it.  Instead, I would often overdo the workouts resulting in shinsplints and other minor hangups.  This past November, I felt called to buy an edition of Runner's World magazine while browsing at my local Barnes & Noble.  One thing led to another and before I knew it I'd stumbled upon the book Run Your Butt Off! (RYBO):

Click here for the website 
I've really like what I've read so far and have even signed up for my first 1/2 marathon (don't worry kids, it's not scheduled until September 2012). I plan on running more competitions this year than just the one 1/2 marathon in September. I simply figured that September is more than enough time to get into the swing of things and the race will signify a big step in accomplishing my goal.

The best part about becoming a runner of course is the shoes! Check out this sexy little number from Mizuno:

Mizuno Wave Precision 12 running shoes

I KNOW! Too cool for school. They only weigh 8.3 oz - it feels like I'm not wearing shoes at all when I run.  I also purchased a pair of Vibram FiveFingers Bikala LS shoes (only 6.5 oz!) - to start I'll use them more for kickboxing, etc. Eventually, when I become a super duper running machine, I plan to use both the Mizunos and the barefoot shoes for running.  

What have I done so far this year to further my running goals? Hmmm....nothing? Okay, that's not exactly true. I decided that before I start the RYBO program, I'm going to get through at least the first 3-4 weeks of the Farrell's Extreme Body Shaping 10 week class (FXB) I signed up for. I just took my "before" picture yesterday. Talk about a fun time! Tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. is the required orientation and initial testing (how fast can I run a mile, push-ups, sit-ups, etc.). My first official class is Monday, January 9, 2012 at 7:00 a.m. The last day of the class will be Saturday, March 17, 2012 when I complete final testing to see where I ended up. I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing - I've never done anything like this before. My plan is after I get my body warmed up so-to-speak with the first 18 classes or so (3 weeks worth) I'll be comfortable enough to add the running workout to my daily schedule.    

The linchpin in my 2012 makeover is to reignite my relationship with God. I'm a Lutheran by trade, but these last few years or so I haven't been as faithful to my faith as I should be - scratch that - as I NEED to be. I'm generally a pretty sarcastic and pessimistic individual. I'm the first person to point out someone else's faults - my own included. Over the years I've developed into the type of person that could let one bad review or comment ruin my day and wipe out the 100 positive comments I received. I'm a wife to a wonderful husband; the mother to my daughter (a 1 year old super hero); and, the owner of a solo law practice. I live in a beautiful home with a HUGE yard and ridiculously huge deck (my husband went a bit nuts last summer) and I have an extremely close/tight-nit family. What in the H-E-L-L do I have to be negative and pessimistic about right? So, in another "called" moment at Barnes & Noble (what's with that place?), I purchased Joel Osteen's book on tape called Every Day a Friday. In the interest of full disclosure, I have NEVER been one to trust religious television personalities. Normally I just cannot get a giant neon edged picture of Tammy Faye Bakker out of my head when I see television church shows. Joel Osteen was not exempt from my distrust - I thought "Who in the heck smiles that much? He cannot be trusted." Over the last three weeks, I've listened to and re-listened to Joel's book. Something just clicked in my thick head - I've been actively practicing the art of being happy and I've never felt better. No joke.  

So, with all this in mind, I'm ready for my adventure.      

No comments:

Post a Comment