Thursday, January 12, 2012

Guest Blogger: Kelly :-)

Hey all! Kelly here, one of Lyndsay's beautiful, younger sisters! Just thought I'd share a healthy and delicious Paleo pork chop recipe I tried the other night. Not only is it extremely yummy and good for you, but I put this recipe in my slow-cooker which made it super easy! I got the recipe from irontribefitness.com , which is a great Paleo & Crossfit resource for athletes. Here goes:

Ingredients
  • 4 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in pork chops (or no bones)
  • 2-3 apples (I used a Granny Smith, and a red one)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, julienned
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper (I think this is slightly too much pepper)
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme (I'd also decrease this a bit to 1/2 tsp.)
Directions

Place the apples in the slow cooker.
Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch stainless steel sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the pork chops on both sides until golden brown, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. Once browned, place the pork chops into the slow cooker atop the apples.

Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan followed by the onions and sauté until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the pan to deglaze. Add the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Transfer this to the slow cooker, set to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Decrease the heat to low and continue cooking for another 4 hours and 30 minutes or until the pork is tender and falling away from the bone.
(I just set my slow cooker to low and let cook over 8 hours. The meat falls off the bone and they are yummy!  And I served with steamed broccoli)

This turned out to be an excellent recipe that I will definitely try again.  Being a busy mom of 3 little ones, this recipe was very easy to prepare, minimal clean-up, and when supper time came the pork-chops were ready to serve with little effort on my part!  I highly recommend this one!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment