Saturday, January 14, 2012

Quads, Berlin and Pancreatic Cancer!

Man oh man oh man! What an AWESOME workout this morning! Woke up perky as all get out this a.m. at 6:00 to the sound of my beautiful daughter babbling. When I picked her up out of her crib she gave me the biggest smile - I felt compelled to dance around the room with her singing "this is the day the Lord has made! let us rejoice and be glad in it!" I know that doesn't rhyme, but Isla was DIGGING IT!

This morning the gym was packed more than usual (on Saturdays you don't have to stick to your regular class time). I went at 7:00 just to keep things consistent. We worked on abs and lower body resistance training. I had such a great workout and totally redeemed myself from yesterday.

On the way home, Berlin's song "Take My Breath Away" came on and I was struck with such a sense of longing for the innocence of my toddler youth when everything was new and fresh and parents were invincible. For those of you that don't know my dad has Stage IV pancreatic cancer. He was diagnosed in February 2010 and basically given 3-6 months to live. Well guess what people? He's still alive and doing well almost two years later - he's still full of cancer of course but for some reason God has helped him beat the odds by a long shot.

What does this have to do with Berlin? Well, when I was little (1-3 years old) my parents had the soundtrack to Top Gun on VINYL :) and would play the record (among others). My dad would dance around with me, my feet on top of his. Every time I hear "Take My Breath Away" or Kim Carnes' "Betty Davis Eyes," I remember that time. I'm not going to lie, I teared up a bit this morning on the car ride home and was compelled to drive past my house and head the few blocks over to my parents' home. Dad was sleeping and I didn't want to wake him up, but I had a great chat with my mom and my sister Kelly about how to motivate Dad to continue taking all his meds and eating right. Sometimes we nag him to take all his pills every day because that's all we know how to do. But I think we should just remind him daily of how proud we are of him and how happy we are that he is doing so well and still here with us. I think that kind of positive reinforcement is more likely to keep Dad honest about taking his pills and taking care of himself than nagging. Don't you think?

Before leaving for my house I had the honor and privilege of flying my oldest niece, Maisy, (3 years old) around the living room in her fairy wings; I was also able to kiss Avery (1 year old niece) no less than 10 times and also help Lily (Maisy's twin) with her fairy wings and dance moves. I love my life! Two things that would have made the morning 100% perfect is (1) if my sister Meghan's daughter, Rylee (also 3) had been over at the house; and, (2) if Isla weren't sleeping right now so I could tackle her to the ground (gently :) and give her a giant raspberry on her tummy. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment